One of the most important decisions we have to collectively make is
where the MLK Boston memorial will be located. Understanding that
Bostonians will have many different opinions, and recognizing that we
must go through a public process to come to a decision, we wanted to
start the conversation here.
- Symbolism: representing the Kings' time in Boston and the
symbolism of their work
- Access: maximum number of diverse visitors
- Funding: a site which can attract funding for construction and
The sites that have been discussed so far include:
- Boston Common, where Dr. King led a march and spoke
- Boston University, where MLK earned his PhD
- Franklin Park, one of the largest parks in Boston
- Roxbury, maybe near the Twelfth Baptist Church, Dudley Square or
- South End, where the Kings lived while they were in Boston
- UMASS Boston / JFK Library area
Should the memorial be built at one of the above locations, or is
there another location entirely that makes the most sense?
See our Annotated Map (and
See also articles from
Boston (2016) and
Boston Globe (2018).
Let your voice be heard
We’d love to hear your thoughts.
Please contact us and/or
join one of our community meetings.
After receiving public input at our community
meetings, in our
and via email, we will work towards
finalizing a location.